The iPhone 7 has only been on sale for a while, but all we seem to be hearing are rumours about the iPhone 8. We think Apple might well be holding back some major updates and improvements for the iPhone 8, which will be launched on the 10th anniverary of the first iPhone. Here we round up the rumours about the iPhone 8 release date, price, features and specifications. See also: Best phones 2016.
Hang on a minute, shouldn’t the next iPhone be the iPhone 7s? It still could be. Rumours suggest there will be three new iPhones, two of which are the expected iPhone 7s and 7s Plus models. The third would be the flagship, and 10th anniversary, iPhone ‘8’. We’d be surprised if Apple goes for that naming convention, and other rumours say it could even be called simply The iPhone, or iPhone Pro, but for now we’ll stick to calling the 2017 iPhone the iPhone 8.
Latest updates: Here’s a summary of the latest rumours, which could – as ever – turn out to be false:
- There will be three phones, including one codenamed ‘Ferrari’ (i.e. the anniversary iPhone)
- The main logic board will be in two pieces instead of the traditional one
- Apple may move the SIM tray to the bottom edge (this could be to allow room for other internal components or to include a Smart Connector)
- Wireless charging is very likely to feature, and could even have long range, up to 15ft away
- A glass back may be used instead of metal to facilitate wireless charging
- Quick charging will be supported when using a cable
- New speaker design could make the phone the thinnest ever
- It will have a ‘borderless’ OLED screen from Samsung – read more.
- The home button won’t be physical, but will be under or built into the screen
- Laser sensor for gesture recognition – read more.